
So the hydroponic herb garden that Meagan's parents got us for Christmas is now six weeks old. Our Italian basil, purple basil, and cilantro are growing out of control, while our dill, chives, and parsley are struggling. I had to do a full-on harvest tonight (cutting about 1/3 of each of the bigger plants) because they were blocking the light for the little guys; some of the leaves were even hitting the grow bulbs.
So now I have a ziplock back full of herbs in the fridge and no real way to use them all. In desperation, I grabbed pinches of all the herbs except cilantro, crushed them up, and made a cup of herbal tea with them in this sweet new teacup that Meagan got me. And I'll be , it was tasty. And I could feel some troublemaker-future-would-be cancer cells cowering in fear. I think I just might do this more often.
And yeah, I felt like Mr. Miyagi. Which is weird, because I'm not sure that he ever tended to herbs -- or even banzai trees for that matter. He did have banzai trees, right? Am I thinking that just because he was Japanese? He was Japanese, right? Someone help me out, IMDB only says "Asian-American." Okay, I'm tabbing over to NetFlix now.
5 comments:
Yes, I remember Mr. Miyagi pruning banzai trees in the movie and I saw banzai trees when I was in Japan, so I think that your calculations are correct. I don't think that he made tea out of the trimmings, though. :)
Oh good! Whew. Still, it scares me that I couldn't remember. Realizing that I don't remember the Karate Kid movies was pretty traumatic.
Now I kind of want to get a banzai tree too...=)
Hey you can make some sauces and soups too. I have had some all veggie soups lately and they have basil in them you should try that too!!
Oh yeah, the basil is incredible. Its taste is so strong. I want to try it in some straight tomato soup...I think that would be incredible. Souptastic even. Basilicious =)
We made the BEST salad the other night...
Get some heirloom tomatoes. Cut them into wedges and core them. Slice up a red onion and place them in a colander together over the sink with some sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Let them sit for 30 minutes. While they're sitting, mix some olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl with a whisk. Add a little sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Slice some fresh basil into strips and peel two garlic cloves. Pierce the cloves with a fork and then rub all over serving bowls, so that the garlic juice is all over them. If you want, dice the remaining clove and whisk into the vinegar mix. After the 30 minutes is over, toss the red onion and tomato mix with the basil strips. Place into serving bowls. Drizzle vinegar mix over salad RIGHT before serving-- will only hold for about an hour or so.
Tastes SO FREAKIN' GOOD!!!
It's important to use good, ripe heirloom tomatoes or else it won't taste as good. Actually, you should use only the best for all of the ingrediants. It really makes a difference.
Post a Comment