Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I Lied to an Autistic Child

So now I'm in kind of a jam.  There's a kid in one of Meagan's classes who we're sure has Asperger's Syndrome (we prefer to call it "Einstein's Syndrome, as Einstein likely had this and it rolls of the tongue much nicer than "Asperger's).  His parents have been in denial until very recently that their son needs any sort of special education, so he is still mainstreamed in Meag's writing class.



Anyhoo, this kid lives for two things: paper airplanes and a handful of anime movies.  I like watching an anime every now and then, so I took option B as a good opportunity to bond with poor, friendless little guy.  Not surprisingly the idea worked, and I have successfully created a situation where each day, probably three or four times, he shows up to whatever class I happen to be subbing for and asks me if I want to watch Nausicca with him (how he finds me is a mystery; I fear he checks every class).



About a month ago, he began suggesting that I buy one of the movies on e-bay.  I told him that I would.  He began asking bi-hourly whether I had ordered it or not.  I kept telling him "not yet."  But after this identical dialogue fragment repeated itself several dozen times, in a moment of weakness I lied to him and told him that I ordered it.  I figured that now I could blame the mail service for the delay rather than my own laziness. 



Now it has been three weeks and my time is up.  I have graduated from liar, to slacker, to demonesque pseudo-friend who escalates the hopes of autistic children and then watches them crash to the ground like a poorly built paper plane.



I leave you now to pay my penance and seek personal reconciliation on e-bay.



3 comments:

andrea said...

I honestly don't know how you live with yourself...

andrea said...

Okay, at first it was funny but i think im really freaking out now. I failed your test to prevent "automated robots" from posting comments twice...twice! So what, am I really part-robot. Wow its like my whole life has changed. This knowledge has opened my eyes to the world i've been denying. Colors are brighter, scents are stronger...and to think i've always thought that i was the only real human and all the people around me were just robots programmed to keep me thinking "everything is normal" Wow. I sure hope i can trick your test again and post this without being detected :)

m@ said...

ROBOT! I knew it, somehow I always knew it. And your senses aren't really stronger, that's just a new portion of your programming that you opened up when you achieved self-realization just now. This is a huge step, I wonder if you're the first...

Post a Comment