It's March. Three months until I ship 139 sixth graders off into the great beyond. And leave. As that word--March--snuck onto my whiteboard this morning (like a lit firecracker placed in my palm) I kept thinking: What do they need to know? What did I forget to tell them?
I didn't want to miss my chance.
I heard 139 stories today. Monik confided in me about problems with her boyfriend. Melissa started a rock band yesterday and wrote her first song called "Black Curls." Lupita wrote a powerful poem called "I'm colored" and actually came out of her shell and read it to seventh period. Hector decided he actually does like rock music after analyzing the Green Day lyrics yesterday in class. Alexis struggled with his final line in his poem about abusive, fighting parents. Michael wrote about failing fifth grade.
I didn't tell them a thing. I just listened.
--Meagan

1 comment:
I find it so amazing how much children really think about the world around them. I'm glad you have given them an outlet to express their thoughts and feelings.
Post a Comment