Wednesday, September 17, 2008
FactCheck.org
I'm trying to think of how many non/barely essential organs I would give to never have to see another campaign commercial.  Probably more than two.  At what point did democracy become about tricking/lying to enough people to get you into office?  Was it always that way?  At some point, there had to be a moment when opposing candidates both honestly presented themselves and voters made their decision based on factual information.  Right? Just once?  I'm naive aren't I.

Anyway, if you haven't visited factcheck.org, please make it a regular stop so that you have a slightly smaller chance of being swindled.  I'm sure they're not catching everything, but they seem to be doing a pretty good job at making sure what the candidates are saying is actually held to some type of logical standard.  


2 comments:

andrea said...

Interesting. However, who runs this fact checking org. and what facts do they choose to check and which do they choose to ignore???? The whole damn world is corrupt and I'm over it. I'll check out the site though, thanks for the heads up :)

m@ said...

FactCheck.org "is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania." It is funded almost completely by the Annenberg Foundation, which " exists to advance the public well-being through improved communication."
There's a team of people working on the project, with the goal of being as comprehensive and as unbiased as possible. It actually looks like they are doing a pretty good job so far, holding both parties accountable.
Here are links to more information about factcheck and the Annenberg Foundation if you are interested:
http://www.factcheck.org/about/
http://www.annenbergfoundation.org/about/about_show.htm?doc_id=209617

Post a Comment