Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Google Logos Infer Significance: Happy Birthday LHC

Lhc

Google likes to make slight modifications to its logo on "special" days, days that a large portion of the population regard as having significance.  Today's logo pays tribute to the birthday of the Large Hadron Collider, a device that will cause subatomic particles to collide at unthinkable speeds so we can see what happens.  Wait... is that logo being sucked into a black hole?!?!?!



8 comments:

joey said...

I rarely go to the google home page these days as I usually just use the built in google search in my browser or am on some subpage of google like reader or gmail.
Point is, I missed this rad logo alt!

Elaina said...

Hahah Funny. I have seen a few things lately they have been celebrating I love it when they change the logo on certain days. Nice to see the new titled logo you have for you guys. START BLOGGING ALREADY LOL :) Hope things are going well over there. have a few new entries on mine too. Check out Jacksons new style of glasses.

Samantha said...

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when the world didn't end. :)
I like the new blog header, but I would like to know more about the "What Moog's Doing" section: "Schooling. Dorm-parenting. Tutoring. Learning about psychos."
Huh what? Learning about psychos?! More info, plz.

m@ said...

Joey: I know, me too! Twas pure luck that I stumbled upon the logo on the classic Google page. Elaina: I will! Geez, it's been forever since I was on MySpace... Sam: One of Meagan's classes this semester is Psychopathology; she's learning about every type of major mental disorder there is. We have an agreement that she's not allowed to tell me what kind of psycho I am when she eventually figures it out.

Jeff said...

Isn't it funny how, throughout the centuries, man has experimented and toyed with ideas to better understand things about our existence, and each time there a major experiment that was publicized there were always those who opposed and protested because they were afraid of something catastrophic happening, or it was witchcraft, or the work of Satan, or against our creator, or was just best if it were left alone? It happened with fire, the wheel, electricity, the telephone, the phonograph, the hot air balloon, the automobile, the airplane... and the list goes on. There are always the naysayers who really don't understand that, in order to learn and further man's understanding of the universe, risk is always a factor. But to suggest an outcome that even they don't truly know would happen, and to impose their fears on others is just plain ignorance and stupidity. The whole reason for an experiment is to find out the answers to "What would happen if...?"
In today's world there are extreme safety measures, calculations and simulations with supercomputers, time, and great care in the construction, and checking items over and over again, including redundant safety systems and procedures.
What is funny to me is that nobody questions the fact that the accelerator at Stanford University is basically the same as the LHC,except the LHC is bigger and more powerful. Also, it was originally suggested it be built in Texas, and was supposed to be much bigger.
Another thing that strikes my funnybone is the fact that nobody is questioning what would happen when the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at LLNL fires up its 192 laser beams on a target smaller than the head of a pin in order to attempt to create a fusion reaction. Could that possibly create a black hole that will suck in the Earth? Who knows? With the LHC your talking about firing streams of positrons at near the speed of light toward each other. With the NIF, you are attempting to create enough heat and pressure on a target much, much larger than several positrons. Where are the supposed subject matter experts that are spouting disapproval and fears about the NIF being man's doomsday machine? Kinda makes you wonder about how skewed some of our most brilliant minds really are, doesn't it? Maybe someday the NIF or the LHC could be used to predict or control the weather or earthquakes...hehe!

m@ said...

Agreed! Or video games -- I thought video games were going to be the end of everything =)
I didn't know about NIF; I just read up on it. Wow, fusion in 2009? Do you think it's going to work?

Jeff said...

As the old plastic psychic 8 ball would say, "All signs point to yes."

Julie said...

Nathan's (Remember he is three) question was How do you smash an atom?
My answer was ...ummm Ask uncle when he gets home. Uncles answer was with an atom hammer.
My grandmother relay to that was now really glenn explain it the right way....
It never got explained the correct way to the youn inquiring mind.. sigh maybe some day it will get explained to him.. I think that answer we finally came up with was just like when you smash your hot wheels together.

Post a Comment