Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Substitute Teaching

Rcr_elementary
Yesterday was my first day teaching public school.  I registered to teach as a substitute teacher while I am here in Weslaco, and yesterday I had a fifth grade class at Ruben C Rodriguez Elementary School.  Actually, I had four classes, because the students have four-period days and rotate.  Of course, I didn't know that until halfway through first period when one of the students pointed out the fact...



Until that point I had been stressing a bit because it looked as though the teacher hadn't left me nearly enough work to fill up a school day for the kids.  I spent half of first period getting to know them before I realized that I should have been halfway through the lesson.



So first and second period were a little rough, third and fourth much smoother.



Many of the students are very low level and many of them know English as a second language, so it made giving instructions much more difficult.



Highlights included:  Lizzy - the hyperactive baseball thrower with her own bottle of hand sanitizer; the three girls who thought the dictionary was cursed because it had the word "Satan" in it; a hug from Manuela.



5 comments:

Mom said...

Thank you for all the details. I'm glad it went fairly well. Sounds like you are enjoying the kids. That's great!

Matt said...

Yeah, the kids weren't that bad. I just found out that I'll be subbing tomorrow and Friday too, so I'll have a much better idea of how I like the situation in the next couple of days!

andrea said...

That's so cool you're subbing. My favorite part so far was when a sophmore student (a social outcast I assume) ate his lunch in class with me and told me all about how he was especially sneaky and "naturally lightfooted." I told him he must be part Hobbit and I think I made his day :)

m@ said...

Wow, that's pretty intense Andrea. I'd keep my eye on that one and keep the door propped open when you're eating lunch with him in your classroom =) What districts are you subbing for? -m@

andrea said...

Oh yeah, I made him sit outside until other students came to do puzzles during lunch, then I let him come in with his tray of kiwi halves and olives...wierdo :) Anyway, im subbing for all of Manteca Unified, which includes Weston Ranch, Lathrop, and French Camp. I do all grades and im workin everyday. Its a lot of fun and I love it.

Post a Comment