Friday, June 2, 2006

More Memories in Texico

I arrived in Weslaco yesterday evening, and today I got up early with Meagan and went to school with her to help her clean out her room.  She didn't really have to move anything out of it; she just had to have everything in boxes so that when they fumigate her room this summer they can move everything into the hallway easily.  I am a bit worried about what we are going to do at the beginning of next school year, because we literally just threw everything into boxes...not much sorting or organizing involved. 



The real shocker came tonight though at the end-of-the=year staff party for all of the 6th grade teachers.  WOW.  First of all, they hired a DJ.  Second of all, there was major BBQ happening.  3d, one of the teachers gave Mr. Garza, the principal of the school, a bottle of Patron.  Mr. Garza doesn't speak with "the father" that often, if you catch my drift, but because it was a gift it would have been rude not to touch the stuff -- so most of the people at the table had a bit, including myself.  Anyway, all I can say is that we ended up on the dance floor, and I pulled out my desperation move; this is the move where I end up in the middle of the circle, and pretend like I am about to breakdance, but because I can't breakdance, I just spin around until I fall flat on my back and hurt myself and everyone laughs.  It's a good move, it has worked before.  This time it was different though.  Because Meag and I were the only gringos at the party, I guess no one had really seen breakdancing before, and so it was taken for the real thing.  I got up off of my back to a round of applause, and people grunting at me for saying that I couldn't dance.  Apparently I could.  Unbelieveable.



The other highlight of my day is, of course, talking with Edcouch-Elsa 6th Grade Middle School's (Meagan's School's) head Janitor Raul.  Raul, for some reason, takes me for a "party-er." that is, the "getting 'messed' up, smoking-the-reefer type."  Every time Meagan leaves her classroom he asks me if I am ready to party and lets me know how good the weed is down here so close to Mexico.  It is hilarious, because I have seriously talked to the guy like three times, and Meagan says that he is straight as an arrow around her.  Go figure. 



Anyway, it is good to be back in Texico again, and especially great to be with Meagan again.  I love this chica, didn't you know?



No comments:

Post a Comment