Monday, May 7, 2007

3D Printing: This Year??

Picture_3



You know how annoying it is when you lose the back to one of your remote controls?  In about five years, that won't be a problem anymore.  We'll just go over to the ol' laptop that already does everything else in life and PRINT OUT A NEW ONE.



Several companies are going to release consumer-level 3D printers THIS YEAR.  I knew that this technology was inevitable, but somehow I thought that it was still a little farther off for the home user.



The first models will cost between $5,000 and $10,000, but within a few years they should fall below $1,000.



What will I make first you ask?  Excellent question.  Most likely a Bionic 6 ring replica or 100 5" diameter scale models of my head to place around the house.  Maybe I will make something already widely available at a cheaper price than the printing supplies, just for the sake of irony.  That would be 'ironic' wouldn't it?  I definitely will make sure to print "Made in China" on the bottom.



5 comments:

joey said...

That's pretty rad athat they are making consumer models, I didn't know that.
My friend actually does this for a living. He makes little parts for camping supplies and prints out prototypes before sending them out for manufacturing (or something).
I am still amazed with this technology. It's the future! Where's my replicator?

andrea said...

Ya know that's not really "printing" its plastic fabrication...plastication. I would make rectangular flying discs. It would be hard but i think i could figure it out.

m@ said...

Yeah yeah, you're right. I think that some peeps are calling it "printing" to make the idea a little more familiar to us future consumers. Isn't that nice of them? It's so much easier to realize that I need one when the words aren't scary like "fabrication" .

andrea said...

This is The hundred-handed-monsterS=life juggling by matt and MEAGAN isn't it? I would like to request a blog from Meagan. There's too much male tech-ness on this blog, its messin with my estrogen levels :)

m@ said...

I'll call for reinforcements and get you an Oprah drip, STAT!
You're right, where is that girl?...

Post a Comment