Sunday, April 8, 2007

Tortilla Soup

Picture_1



The last few days have been super stormy down here, so Meag and I have spent a lot of time inside.  Yesterday we made tortilla soup from a recipe that my sister Elaina sent us.  Tasty, quick, and vegetarian friendly.  Thanks sis!



5 comments:

Elaina said...

Im sooo glad you guys like it! Isnt it supper tasty!

andrea said...

Sorry, this isn't about the soup, but it does look good. But about the faith vs trust thing. Well first off, faith is a noun and trust is a verb, right? Well there you go. There's your difference. Just kidding :) I guess one could use both words interchangeably, however, to me trust seems to have the added element of something earned. To me, faith (in the religious sense)is like a type of die-hard loyalty that shouldn't be betrayed regardless of outside factors, nor inside uncertainties. Many people can remain faithful even when they are uncertain as to the real outcome of a situation because faith is like a duty. On the other hand, trust is something developed through repeated encounters. Basically, what im trying horribly to say is that I think faith is given freely while trust is earned. I think "faith" is more interchangeable with "belief" than with "trust". I guess it would all depend on the context though. i bet Job had more faith than trust when he was being tortured ;)

m@ said...

Yeah, I agree. My general understanding of the words as they are used today is that trust is more like a credit score, and faith is an unwaivering, maybe even unexplainable conviction. I bring this up because I am very intrigued by certain translation choices that exist in various versions of the Christian New Testament. I am currently reading one of the newest translations, "The Message," and it is making several choices that I think may help many Christians get a lot more meaning out of their texts -- but it's prompting some good ol' ancient Greek word study. There's such a fine line between the meanings of these words today, but I think that subtleties like the ones you just explained can be pretty significant. And to make it even more fun, all the words had different subtleties back when they were written... This one's a tuffy in particular because many times, the two main Greek words used for faith and trust are used interchangeably. But don't you think that many Christians today would talk a little bit differently about "their faith" than they would "their trust"...? Anyway, it's just something to burn brain cells pondering. Welcome to the ponder club =)

andrea said...

Oh my goodness, are you serious? Everytime i think hard on something it burns my brain cells? Well thats it, no more thinkin for me. no wonder why smart people always seem to alzheimer's. That pondering is a dangerous drug Mr. Hannon and I will remain "above the influence" thank you very much.

m@ said...

Oh yeah, it burns them. Maliciously. It burns them when you're not thinking too, though, so it's a lose-lose.

Post a Comment