Lately I have been watching a bit of TV while I have meals in my apartment. Yesterday there was nothing of great interest on during my breakfast, so I flipped the channel to Star Trek, which I love to do now and then to get that warm, nostalgic feeling that one gets when watching something from their youth (my brother and I grew up watching Star Trek with my dad). I was shocked and actually quite angered by the poor quality of that particular episode of Deep Space Nine. Was this show this bad when I was a kid? I remember it being infinitely better. I mean, it was BAD. Worst writing I've seen in a while. [switching to present tense] The credits role...RICK BERMAN. SO IT'S HIM! HE'S THE ONE THAT MADE STAR TREK SUCK! It wasn't me growing up, it really used to be good until Gene Rodenberry died! I am angered.
So later that day I put some sugar cookies in the toaster-oven to bake, grab my lunch and sit down again... ‘Must be a marathon or something, Star Trek: The Next Generation is on. Why not. Picard is involved with some chick...he's a good actor. Wow...this is intense. Crap, she has to go on a dangerous away mission. No Picard, you can't let your relationship interfere with your duty. You have to let her go. OH CRAP, there's trouble on the planet's surface. OH CRAP she's going to die. Wow this is intense! She's dead. NO WAIT, SHE'S ALIVE!' And then, a strange thing happens. I AM EMOTIONALLY MOVED BY THIS EPISODE. Whoa, how did that happen? The last episode sucked so bad. Ah yes! It was Rodenberry! That has to be it! So I didn't have a complete lack of taste as a child after all, hurrah! The credits role....RICK BERMAN!? Wow.
OH NO MY COOKIES.
Not ruined, but hard as a rock. Just like my resolve to extract a moral morsel from this little happening.

5 comments:
Rick Berman was kind of like Roddenberry's right-hand man and did a good job.
There were a couple of seasons of DS9 with a lot of bad episodes. What happened is Paramount decided to try two Star Trek series at the same time (Deep Space 9 and Voyager). They ended up spreading the good staff thin across both projects and both projects and they both suffered. That is why Voyager got better later (after many people had already stopped watching it). Well, that, and there was that whole 7 of 9 thing to draw in a crowd.
Paramount vowed to never make that mistake again -- the producing two Star Treks at the same time. The 7 of 9 thing... they will repeat.
Hi!
I was just wondering what happened to the link to the Bible site that you used to have in the margin. I really liked that. I especially liked the daily Bible verses. I forget website. Can you help me out?
It is nice that you are able to relax a little and actually get to watch a some T.V. for a change.
Also, may I borrow your copy of the Scretape Letters when you are through with it? Thanks!
Love ya,
Myrt
Hi!
I was just wondering what happened to the link to the Bible site that you used to have in the margin. I really liked that. I especially liked the daily Bible verses. I forget website. Can you help me out?
It is nice that you are able to relax a little and actually get to watch a some T.V. for a change.
Also, may I borrow your copy of the Scretape Letters when you are through with it? Thanks!
Love ya,
Myrt
That's wierd... the link should still be there. I'll have to check the settings, it probably got knocked off the bottom of the list. Thanks for noticing! And of course you can borrow the book mom =) I mean, wow, you're my mom, wow. =)
Thanks, I just found it in the left margin. Was it there all along and I was just looking on the right?
And now I have to use another "code" name because everyone knows that Myrtle is your mom and not just another admirer. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it.
Bye for now,
Mommy
Post a Comment